Food plays a very important role in our lives
It is no accident that childhood memories often have the taste and smell of baked buns, sweet pancakes, or crispy crust. Just like the fact that most holidays and celebrations are time spent together at the table.
Building family traditions
Eating together means building family traditions. Learning to be with each other. We eat every day, every day we eat several meals. You can't escape this physiological need. We need it like air. In conjunction with the company allows you to meet another need: belonging and a sense of acceptance.
Of course, nothing by force. It is not the best way to call "obiiaddd" and get upset that someone is not responding. Stress, coercion and necessity for all family members to eat at one hour, even when they are not hungry, is not the best way. However, where possible, it is worth replacing the time in front of the TV, or the newspaper celebrating a meal: consumed slowly and made more attractive by conversation.
Show me you love me
Eating alone is not a pleasure. If we have such an impression, it means that we eat alone for so long that we have forgotten how nice food with loved ones is. Eating meals is not only providing calories and nutrition, it is a time during which you can stop, give a second respite and that it is important to us, loved.
When eating in front of a computer or TV, we usually eat more. This has been tested many times. Scientists have concluded that this is a simple path to excess weight. This is because by focusing on something else, we turn off our eating attention. We eat more, and after a meal we are often unable to say what we really had on the plate.
Meanwhile, eating joint meals, we focus on eating all the attention. We consume meals consciously. It also makes us eat more slowly, which allows us to eat more quickly and has a positive effect on digestion.
Joint meals are conducive to choosing better food. If we eat meals with our family, we usually care about the quality and method of preparing meals. Dishes are prepared once, not reheated and are clearly tastier. Often, eating alone, we eat as often as possible to quickly satisfy hunger.
Numerous studies show that children who eat with their parents at the table are less likely to suffer from depression, are better at school, and less often reach for alcohol or drugs. They feel important and know that they will always be heard. Thanks to the fact that the meal forces face-to-face contact, it sensitizes to the needs of the other person.
Children, in whose homes each of them separately, more often have a problem with cooperation in a group, more often they feel lost in a peer group.
Some important curiosities
- In the confused reality, the view of people eating in front of a computer, desk, in a car is a common phenomenon.
- According to one UK study, 1/5 of families never eat together.
- Studies carried out in various countries confirm that children who eat regularly with family have a chance to learn better, eat healthy and enjoy good mental health.
- One Harvard study proves that eating meals together enriches the vocabulary more than reading to children (of course, it's about meals where parents and children talk, ask questions, tell jokes, etc.).
- Another study showed that the only common denominator of National Merit Scholarship scholarship holders in the United States (regardless of race or social class) were regular family dinners.
- Since 2004, the TV program "Fixing Dinner" has been shown, which shows how to cook and eat dinner in the evening.
Do you have any rituals related to food? What does a shared meal at home look like? Or maybe you eat separately?